Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Hardest Decision of My Life...

was not choosing an eternal companion. That one came pretty easy once Hank bounced into my life with a huge cheesy smile and told me he was the one. At which point, I took a few months to assess the truthfulness of his "selling points" and conceded once convinced.*


The hardest decision of my life came in the form of choosing.......a STROLLER!

Such a decision really forces one to look deep within to consider their true self. The baby market definitely takes advantage of worried mothers by convincing them they need only the best for the baby...and of course, I agree! :) After 8 months of searching for the perfect stroller, I've found myself asking the following questions:

  • Is my real goal to have others to envy my stroller? Must I have the top-of-the-line? Or do I just have "expensive taste?"
  • Do I care if others look down upon me? Won't the cheapest suffice? Or is it just responsible to assume anything bulky and made of 100% plastic is doomed break, thus endangering my child.
  • Is it wrong to get the best, most expensive stroller if I get a phenomenal deal, even if it costs 50% of our monthly income?
  • Does it make it any better to consider this purchase as an investment, or must I look at it as fulfilling a simple need, as in transporting my child from point A to point B?
  • Do I even need a stroller? Or could I carry my child everywhere...?
I have certainly been forced to ponder my position on each of these questions and it hasn't been pleasant. I've gone back and forth between the top-of-the line to the absolute cheapest option out there. The stroller market got the best of me, my indecision at its worst!

After a disappointing doctor's appointment, Hank cheerfully agreed to go to USA Baby with me to pick out the stupid stroller. Apparently he had had enough of my research and indecision on the stroller issue because 'helpful Hank' came out of the wood works. Never before have I seen him in action like this. I sat down as he asked tons of questions, learned how to open, close, lock, etc each option, assessed the size and price, the durability and then BAM! The decision was made.


He wanted the Peg Perego Si. Not the top-of-the-line. In fact, the bottom of a mid-line of strollers & carseats.

I couldn't be more thrilled. The lesson? This is why we get married...hard decisions like this are not required or meant to be made alone. Needless to say, I would have chosen something else :)


Now all I need is someone to cart around besides George...

*(In all fairness, turns out I was mislead in a few areas ...but thats not the point of this post.)

2 Words from the Wise:

Nicole said...

I think it is only fitting that Hank should have an opinion on the baby transportation. And I'm glad to see him participating!

You made a good choice. We have a very similar competitor, the Maclaren Quest. (Although I don't think the Si was an option when I was looking.) Let's face it, it is never convenient to lug around a stroller. But for an every day stroller, particularly when you can ditch the infant carrier at around 4 months, you can't beat a top of the line umbrella stroller like the Quest or Si.

Jaclyn said...

I don't know if the baby has come yet or not but good luck with everything and Merry Christmas to you and your little family!