Sunday, November 28, 2010

Belated Thanksgiving

I know I'm a little late on this one...but I figured it would be a good idea to still jot down the things I'm especially thankful for this year, since they will certainly vary significantly next year.

In no particular order, I am grateful for....

1. The alien baby inside me. I just love watching him maneuver his way around my tummy. With limited room, he has begun extending inches making it look and feel as though he will burst free like a hatched egg. I wouldn't mind this...

2. The angel that is George. We still love this stupid dog more than anything. He brings so much joy, we still spend most of our conversations revisiting his cute little mannerisms. Whether snuggling up by our necks, acting so tired he can hardly hold his head up, or frolicking through the snow like a rabbit, there are so many things to love about this little cuddle bug.

3. My turdy husband. While he still spends most of his waking hours torturing (aka "getting a rise out of") me, I still love him to death. I'm so excited for him to become a dad. He is sure the baby will become his best friend and can't wait to take him fishing, hunting, camping and teach him to play sports he doesn't even play himself. :) I've warned him that babies typically love the source of their food, but even I know that won't be the case with our baby based on his interactions with other babies and kids--they always love him and don't care too much for me!

4. My sweet little family. They have been so good to me this year! They have endured countless hours of consoling my pregnancy worries and symptoms, traveled long distances to visit and help me get ready for the baby, and advised and supported me during my other trials. I'm extremely grateful for a family that cares about me and does all they can to ensure my well-being.

5. Maternity Clothing. I don't know what I would do without the occasional "success" of a small or medium piece of clothing fitting. I recognize I am anything BUT small or medium at this point, but I appreciate the mood boost that comes from the tag's size description. I never thought I would say this, but I am grateful for the freedom to diet and cannot wait to eat next to nothing because I can.

6. A rear wheel drive car. When I graduated from undergrad, I got the car of my dreams that just so happens to have rear wheel drive. I was sufficiently warned that it wouldn't "do well" in the snow, but I certainly couldn't have cared less knowing I would never live in Utah again. Years later, we are back in Utah and Hank, George and I are snowed in and have no way to make it to church this morning. Despite the situation, I stand by my decision to get a car in protest of living in Utah...maybe someday my voice will be heard.

7. Fabulous friends. I don't deserve to have such great friends--I'm a terrible communicator and show absolutely no initiative in this area....but somehow, I've been extremely blessed with some of the best friends ever. I couldn't help but feel so much gratitude at my baby showers for all the wonderful people in my life.

8. Sleep. My ability to sleep the last 8 months has been an absolute joke, but I am so thankful for the times when my body forgets its typical cycle and allows for sufficient rest. Theres nothing better than the combination of high hormone levels mixed with stress and only a few hours of sleep. Speaking of which, as long as its snowing outside, I'm going to give round 2 of sleep a try and hopefully wake up to plowed roads!

0 Words from the Wise: