Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Why I Love BYU (and Costco)

Today after work, I set out to buy some thank you cards. Theres something so motivating about purchasing super cute cards, not to mention the room full of generous gifts, to get one writing! Unfortunately, nearly every stationary store in the world has gone out of business, forcing me to think long and hard of where to buy these treasures. And then I remembered the sweet BYU Bookstore....


I hesitated to go there because of my huge baby bump, uncomfortable shoes, and awkward outfit. I was certain I would leave with stationary in hand but feeling like a complete idiot.

And this is why I love BYU......

- I found not only 1, but 3 really cute sets of expensive thank you notes

- At the checkout, I was presented with the options to 'impulse buy' at least 10 different kinds of chocolates. Naturally, I gave in.

- As I was walking through the food court feeling quite vulnerable (yes--my self-esteem at 30+ lbs is temporarily low) I hear "Congratulations!" and look to see a sweet girl taking out her earbuds to acknowledge my upcoming arrival. With a huge smile on her face and a look of confusion on mine, she inquired of my due date and expressed sincere excitement for me.

- As I exited the WILK and struggled to open the insanely heavy doors, a girl stocking the vending machines came from quite some distance to tell me she loved my shoes. I'm not sure if she noticed my swollen foot bulging out the sides like dough, but my shoes were pretty cute...and uncomfortable.

I forgot just how nice people are, especially at BYU. Since I graduated, I have basically sat in an office interacting with 1, maybe 2 people per day. I miss being surrounded by such kind people...I definitely took it for granted the last few years!

But its not just BYU---Costco employees can be appropriately categorized as angels as well. I ran inside (for the 2nd time in 2 days) to pick up a few things for work. While there, I was determined to pick up the pomegranates Hank has been requesting for weeks. I gave up after realizing they were low stocked on just about everything and came to terms with the fact I would have to come back tomorrow, and then the angel appeared in a red vest. I asked him when they would be getting more in. He thought for a minute, then revealed the truck had arrived earlier and that he would be happy to get in and grab me a package. Made my day.

Who are these people?! I Love BYU and Costco.

4 Words from the Wise:

E-Roz said...

Sooo.... does this post secretly qualify me and hankie for angel-hood?

barb said...

Maybe that is why both places feel like "home."

AlexisTexas said...

Kate!
Where have you been all my life?! We are coming down to Utah this weekend through Thanksgiving---I would LOVE to see you, it's been far too long. I don't have any contact info for you anymore (i don't think...) so E-MAIL me or call/text me if you still have my number!
alirasband@gmail.com
miss you!

terryandkrisstewart said...

Katie, just make sure that you dont go late in the evening- Thats when the evil people come out-also stay away from summerlin!

Had fun seeing u at your shower! Your mom saved me for Jessica's shower! Good luck the next few weeks.. Love you, dudee