3 more 2.5 hr sessions to go.
We survived our first prenatal prep course. Hank complained the entire way there and I threatened everything I could think of if he didn't behave by the time we arrived. He couldn't imagine why we needed to "spend hours learning about breathing techniques", so I assured him we wouldn't even go over them (assuming that would be taught in a later class).
A special thank you to the instructor for putting the outline of the course on the board upon arrival. Luckily, mature Hank arrived by the time the class started and didn't leave (as previously promised) as we went over breathing techniques.
As it turned out, I was on my worst behavior. Everything about the situation was making me giggle-- the placenta and umbilical cord that snapped onto the baby doll, the overly anxious couples freely sharing way too much information, and practicing he-he-he-hoeing with Hank--this is where I really lost control. As we were practicing breathing techniques, Hank became super serious and I couldn't look at him as he coached me through the ridiculous noises. Giggling in the front row quickly proved completely unacceptable as no one else seemed to find humor in the situation at all.
The book we received tonight had a section for us to list "friends made at birthing class."
Needless to say, ours is blank.
Monday, October 25, 2010
1 Down...
Posted by Katie I. at 8:34 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 Words from the Wise:
(So...disregard the email I just sent you like an hour ago about needing to update.)
Love this post!! John will be so happy he had to miss prenatal classes. I don't think we would have made friends at birthing class, either. I giggle just thinking about doing breathing exercises in front of others.
I have to say that prenantal classes are one of the most bizarre things on earth. I don't understand how you make "friends" with people in this setting either?!? The thing that got me was the "describe your nursery" icebreaker questions. Like me admitting that I have no theme because my life is that crazy is really going to help me comfortable talking to complete strangers about something coming out of my vagina!
Prenatal classes are good for teaching the mechanics of birth. But let me just tell you this now since you seem to have been mislead about the physical nature of pregnancy in general... nothing you are going to learn at class is going to prepare you for the actual sensations of labor. Furthermore, even after it has begun, you really can't anticipate what it will become. This is probably for the best because you wouldn't willingly choose to do any of it (even if you are saying in your mind that you would to just finish the process).
But, you will get through it. All women do. So, relax the way you've always relaxed. If you normally relax using he-he-haw (seriously, who made that up?) breathing then great. But you probably would be better off with normal big breaths and telling yourself that this will eventually end. Or in blasting your favorite music in your ipod. Or both. Whatever works for you.
Katie this just makes me laugh, because I can just see you and Hank especially Hank doing this and it made my day, GO TEAM KATIE AND HANK!!
man, i love reading about this! i mean it!
Post a Comment