Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Woman's Intuition

The smell of my clothes has been slowly driving me crazy for months. I couldn't figure out exactly what the problem was...all I knew was that nothing smelled fresh. That fabulous Gain detergent smell was overpowered by a musty smell.


It took a special critical house guest to point out the problem. After bringing it to my attention that my clothes are all mildewed, I set out to resolve the issue. I'm well aware the clothes weren't truly mildewed, since I throw them in the dryer immediately but I certainly couldn't argue with the unusual smell! I tried running the wash with bleach, Afresh, vinegar, etc. to no avail. Then I turned to my good friend Google, who lead me to my answer.

I read countless threads of people discussing their washer and dryer problems--exhilarating stuff. A few people mentioned that if all else fails, check the hose. Hank called me crazy throughout this entire process, arguing there is nothing wrong with the washer and our clothes smell great. He even pointed out that someone complemented us on the smell of our clothing recently. By recently, he really meant about a year ago!!

There is a reason we haven't been complemented in about a year. The hose was covered in mold. We found the smell! Besides the part where mold is a huge health hazard, it was/is absolutely disgusting. I am appalled something so vile grew in my house without my knowledge.

To all those who have held back politely mentioning our stench, I am not happy with you. To our critical house guest, thank you. You probably saved us from a similarly detrimental scenario as Kirk on the Bachelorette.

3 Words from the Wise:

Ruth said...

I never thought you smelled like mold or I would have told you :). I'm glad you found it, though!

I miss you and I'm SO happy you're pregnant! You're going to have the cutest baby ever! Let me know when you pick out a name (I know, it's forever away) and I'll send you some rockin' personalized baby stuff. Also, if it's a girl, you will be receiving a GINORMOUS flower for her head because I know how much you love those things!!

Misses Barlow said...

haha! maybe that's my problem! our towels ALWAYS stink after wash them... maybe there is mold in our hose too? you always make me laugh! i love readying your blog! hope you are doing well mama! can't wait for christmas! xo

f said...

i have no idea how i found your blog...however, i have been feeling like i have been smelling that faint smell of mildew as well! i am going to be checking my washer tonight. :o) thank you!! haha! :o)