Saturday, May 22, 2010

A New, Temporary Addition

I got a phone call at work yesterday from Hank. He proceeded to tell me that he "had a problem" and explained that he was "driving in his car"....blah blah blah. I assumed he had gotten in a car accident and had prepped myself to refrain from yelling. (I am the one who gets in accidents!) Minutes later he finally got to the point of the story: he breaks for ducks.




A little duckling was confused and trying to cross a bridge. Leave it to Hank to slam on his breaks and pick up the little guy. He spent hours trying to find his family near the Provo River. After no success, he brought him home to see how he would feel about George. Verdict: love.















We named him Downey. Correction: Barbie named him Downey. Clever, right? The problem with Downey is that I can't stop panicking that we might kill him. I'm scared of him, which leaves Hank as his primary nurturer. That scares me even more. I tried to read up on how to care for a duckling, so I had a good idea of the things not to do. As I sat back and watched Hank care for Downey last night, he violated every bit of advice online. Stuck him under water to give him a bath. (He doesn't have feathers yet and they get really cold) Fed him a croissant. (Never feed them bread, the lack of nutrients is dangerous) Fed him worms without water. (Always have water nearby because they cannot swallow without it) Stuck a piece of metal on the stove then put in his box to warm him up (this one actually worked, but a little weird for me).


By 10pm, I was absolutely done with Downey and Hank. I was a nervous wreck. The thought of killing something so sweet and innocent did not sit well with me. Hank swears that because he has interacted (in his words "saved") 3 birds in his life, he suddenly becomes an expert in caring for a duckling--clearly, well according to Wikihow, much different than any other bird. I will not mention the 1 bird he did kill while sleeping by rolling over on him in this public forum.


I love that my husband breaks for ducks. Or gives the woman missing teeth who frequents our doorstep money when we have none. But I will not be an accomplice in the death of Downey. That is why I'm thrilled to announce Downey has a new home, starting very soon.



I have no doubt in my mind that this duo will perfectly care for the duckling. Because Aurelie does everything perfectly, I know Downey will be in good, loving hands. After he grows up a bit, he will find his way to their friend's duck pond. Perfect.

1 Words from the Wise:

Nicole said...

Oh, I've been waiting for an update from you and this is the perfect one!