Thursday, April 8, 2010

Freedom

In approximately 2 weeks, I will be done with my education which will free up an awful lot of time! 1/2 of it, to be exact. There are so many things I've said I will do "when I have free time." That time is coming nearer with each passing day so I'm making a list of those things so I don't forget!


1. Exercise every day. Right now, I actually wish I could do this. However, its likely that once the opportunity presents itself, I will find a million other things to do.

2. Clean out drawers. They've been driving me crazy for the last 2 years. I know they will quickly become disorganized again (thanks to Hank's confusion of the entire being organized concept) but it will feel so good while it lasts.

3. Do laundry consistently. Every week there is a national emergency at our house. One day we are completely out of jeans. The next, underwear. The next, towels. Its a vicious cycle I'd like to end forever. And while I'm at it, perhaps I will iron things right after being clean, instead of having piles of "dirty," "clean," and "needing ironed" scattered throughout the house, making it necessary to sniff to determine which category they fall in.

4. Go on dates. We've been pretty horrible about this the last 2 years....A special thanks to both of us. We prioritized school above family life, even though we knew we shouldn't. We've gotten better about it lately and its so nice to step away from the day-to-day routine and remember that you actually like, if not love, the person you married! :)

5. Daily scripture study. The thought of waking up every morning and reading scriptures actually excites me. This is probably a similar concept to the exercising one, but I know it would make a huge difference in our lives. Hold me accountable should I find an excuse to not do this one!

6. Take George on daily walks. So even if the Bichon Frise book does say they dont need lots of exercise, I think he would certainly appreciate expanding his world beyond the walls of our town home! He's been so good about being locked up 50% of the day, never once complaining! He deserves a little freedom...

7. Make a life plan. A special thanks to Ruth who assured me it isnt weird to map out your life, I will begin this immediately upon graduation. It will ease my anxiety at least having a plan on paper. Heaven knows Hank won't follow it! :)

8. Become a budget shopper. I've improved significantly since being married. I try to follow all the deals around town and often take advantage, but it adds a few hours on to my grocery shopping adventures, which I resent. If time is money, it certainly isnt worth driving around Utah County to save a few bucks! With more free time, I'm willing to take up this hobby. I will even post every deal on this blog in an effort to make you feel terrible about buying non-sale items, so stay tuned. Ok, so no I wont, thats annoying.

9. Volunteer at a senior living center. I love love love old people. Not sure why.... but it certainly would help with my long-term goals to get a little experience, so I should probably go ahead and do it, sooner rather than later.

10. Fatten up Hank. I've tried since the beginning, but its a full-time job! The boy burns more calories in a minute than I do after an hour of cardio, making my mission rather difficult. My new goal instead of pouring butter over his meals will be to incorporate healthier fats into his food and obviously increase the amount significantly. Why can't I have his metabolism?!

Thats all my goals for now. The number 10 seems about right! I sincerely hope my new free time will allow me to accomplish these goals! Its a good thing new habits are so easy to adopt, no need for consistently practicing them at all :)

2 Words from the Wise:

Darci Buhl said...

Congrats! That is really, really exciting. It's so smart to write down the things you want to do when you are done...I remember feeling so lost when I finished.
Oh and the crazy metabolism? Ugh. So my husband. It drives me crazy!

Cara said...

I keep saying I am going to exercise too. I never do. I always say, "Next week." We should do it together! We can take Lincoln and George on walks. You should now I am not a runner. I would like to be.