Those of you who know me well know that I hate competition. I hate playing board games, entering contests, anything that involves a winner and a loser. I hate the thought of setting myself up for disappointment. I know the whole wisdom "you never know until you try," but I'm not very talented at most things, allowing me to "know" without trying. Until now.
I won a contest! Not first place, but third place and I'm thrilled!
A month ago I entered some of my Ghana photos in the international study program competition. Not really so I could have my picture hung in the center, but more for the cash prize! You can imagine my excitement when I got an email inviting me to the reception to tell of my experience/pictures and accept my cash prize.
A few things running through my mind:
1. Is there any chance the money will be given in the form of a BIG check? I've always wanted one of those. The Food Network gives them away all the time, it shouldn't be too much for the Kennedy Center to arrange.
2. What the heck am I supposed to say in my speech? "Thank you dad for buying me an expensive camera?"
3. Will I start crying during the alleged speech? I may once I find out the amount of money on the big check. If its less than $50, I might be sad cuz I have been anticipating more. If it is more than $50, I will likely cry seeing as how I need help paying my $1000 deductible from the accident I was in. Crying is more likely than you'd think.
4. Will I be embarrassed? The picture they chose is NOT good! :) Seriously. The audience will surely be thinking "exactly why did they choose this girl?" To which I will respond"maybe only 3 people entered the contest, and I just so happened to be the third? Back off. I need the money."
Way to go me! This is the first thing I've won since my 4th grade invention--a toothbrush with a clear plastic tube of toothpaste attached beneath--which if I remember correctly, only received an honorable mention. Only to be seen in stores about a year later! Coincidence? I think not. Crooks.
Saturday, October 31, 2009
I Won a Prize!
Posted by Katie I. at 10:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 Words from the Wise:
Why didn't you post the picture that has brought you this fame? I want to see it!!
Amen. I want to see it!!
Katie, all I have to say is you're so crazy. And I love you. I saw your pics and they are amazing...way to go!
If I remember correctly the toothbrush was MY idea! Please give your poor mother a little credit. I was also responsible for discovering the spot remover! Can not think of the name of it now! But once again, it was a great project. A toast to all mother's who the night before the dreaded science project was DUE have come up with a stellar idea
Great Job! Your pictures are fabulous! I don't know what you are talking about when you said you are not good at anything--Please! No matter what the event, contest, race or debate-- all you would have to do is bring along a few pumpkin muffins with the cream cheese heaven on top and you will take first prize!
Post a Comment