Sunday, May 17, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I'm back home. Ghana was amazing. I'm not sure really how to sum up my whole trip in one blog post, though!

The first half of my stay was phenomenal. I got to Accra a few hours before my group headed up to Cape Coast. We went to a slave castle, orphanages, and various NGOs. We went on a canopy hike through the rain forest and ate lunch over a crocodile pond. Next, we traveled to another area of the country, where we went to a waterfall, monkey sanctuary and other NGOs. We visited schools where we made assessments for Empower Playgrounds and interviewed Employment Resource Center students to learn more about the problems with the program.

Half way through the trip, I got deathly ill. I have never been so sick in all my life. My head was so hot, I definitely could have fried an egg on it. I spent 7 days in bed completely helpless. I have never been so thankful to get on a 17 hour flight towards home. They are doing some testing right now and the results should be in tomorrow. Original diagnosis included typhoid fever, but since I haven't gotten better there is a bit of confusion. Hopefully that will be cleared up tomorrow so I can leave the house.

Here are a few pictures from my trip. I have about 1000, so I may have to do a few posts of just pictures :)



The Ghana Temple


School children outside Accra



Feeding a monkey banannas


Beautiful scenery


The bead factory. A dream come true.



The sweetest people ever. They had never seen themselves, so they agreed to let me take as many pictures of them as I wanted. They giggled every time they saw themselves. :)


He was adorable. He may have an eyesight problem, as he squinted like this in every picture!


I love her. She was terrified of her own hair, haha.


I think this was the village leader. He kept doing this hand motion, which I dont understand. He came back for another photo shoot he enjoyed it so much! He has the sweetest giggle I've ever heard.



The scar below his eye is not a tribal mark. A lot of the children had a similar scar--I found out that when the children get very sick, they cut below the eye to get blood and apply a plant to get into the blood stream.


Unreal.




Fishing Boats.



Me, Jarilyn and Kadi. The white building behind Kadi is the Elmina Slave Castle.



A beautiful little girl at New Life International Orphanage.


Many Saints had shirts and dresses made of fabric with all the prophets on it. I think it was in honor of Gordon B. Hinckley coming for the temple dedication. I asked this man about it and he informed me "its expired!" :) They ARE going to need to update it soon with President Monson.


Kids at an orphanage. It is apparently hilarious to stick stickers all over my face in 90 degrees and 100% humidity. :)
Thats all for now! I hope you enjoyed the pics!

4 Words from the Wise:

Kylee Rowe said...

Wow Katie that sounds like an awesome trip, minus you getting sick! I hope you are feeling better! And you should post more pictures :)!!!

Kiana Hayden said...

You look like a bonafide Mother Thresea! I still can't believe that you really went to Ghana! Post your death bed pictures!!!

Darci Buhl said...

Oh my gosh. Your pictures made me want to cry because it reminded me so much of my trip to Zambia. Arent the people there just amazing? I especially love the part about them not seeing themselves before. It's such a different world over there. Hope you feel better.

Pamela Williams said...

those are some beautiful pictures. i really love the one of the little boy squinting :D