Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"You're not supposed to be here!"




Today I shamefully yet officially joined the ranks of 'people who miss flights'. As I was arguing with the Delta curbside checker to "hold the plane," I watched my class mates fly overhead en route to Ghana- ironically, a destination only traveled to every few days from the U.S.





I am not sure yet who to blame. Two separate alarm clocks were set, and yet, two separate alarm clocks were turned off. The ripe hour of 5 am may be partially to blame. (especially considering I went to bed at 3:30 am after taking a few oatmeal baths to relieve the itching from my burn) But clearly there was another "undetermined source" to blame. I cannot remember getting up and turning alarms off, so until I do, I am going to kindly blame it on my significant other. :)





After calling Delta on four separate occasions to speak with different representatives, I found one that was willing to spend about 45 minutes finding a way, ANY way, to Ghana. His name was Tino, and I WILL be writing Delta regarding his excellent customer service, despite the thick Latin accent that almost inhibited our conversation. The other representatives told us the next available date to leave was May 3!!! Tomorrow, I will leave SLC at 7:15 am. Anyone wishing to help in my endeavor, please feel free to call. Any support will be appreciated. I will then fly to Atlanta....from Atlanta to Paris....from Paris to Rome (yay! I've never been to Italy!)...from Rome to Accra, where I arrive at 9:25 pm, practically 2 days later! Anyone want any souvineers from Europe? Just let me know within the next 48 hours!



The best part? I only have to stay at a hostile for one night! Its like I PLANNED this! :)

Hank has been very sweet and supportive. Every time I call or ask any favors, he gets irritated and responds with "you're not supposed to be here!" He apparently had plans to order $5 pizza, hang out with Audi friends, and do I dont know what else! Sorry Hank for invading on your free time!

6 Words from the Wise:

Taylor said...

i think this post should be entitled "stupid girl v 2.0"

Melliest said...

Hi Katie! I'm so sorry about everything you've been through lately! I do have one caution! If your sunburn is still pretty bad...be careful when you fly and make sure that you get up and walk around frequently...or your legs will swell up like elephants! That's what happened to me when I went to China a few years ago. My legs were sunburned, and I didn't get up to move (cuz I was sleeping the whole time) until about 1 hour left of an 11 hour flight. My lower legs were like elephant leg and I could hardly walk because my ankles wouldn't bend. When we landed in Hong Kong, they took me by wheelchair straight to the doctor, and I then I Had to go straight to the hospital for tests all day. They thought maybe I had a blood clot or something wrong with my heart. It was just had swollen legs from the sunburn I got from tanning my lower legs and getting a burn. So be careful. It was no fun~! Love you lots and be careful and have a great time. Be sure to make frequent posts, cuz I''m checking daily!!! Love you so much, Mellie

Katie I. said...

Taylor: that is rude. you are just jealous that you don't tan :) Although, it did make Hank laugh.

Mellie: thanks for the advice!!! i'm so glad you mentioned that! the last thing i need is to have another issue! How embarrassing! i cannot sleep right now because its all peeling off and itching like CRAZY!!! hahaha. i will try to post as much as possible, but i dont think i will have internet access too often. i'll be back on the 15th and have a long, detailed post! i love you lots and am so glad you read my blog! :) love, kate

Pamela Williams said...

that is the funniest story. and hank WOULD say that. punk. sorry you missed your flight, i blame your significant other for that too. i wish i could hang out with his audi buddies, lol.

oh, and souveniors from europe please! i collect thimbles from different places or a postcard:

5342 CHATTANOOGA AVE.
LAS VEGAS, NV 89122

:D love you

Kylee Rowe said...

That's quite the travel plans! My goodness!!!! I hoep you have a great time! BE SAFE!!!! and have fun! Love ya!

Grandma and Grandpa Clark said...

Well Katie girl, You must be there by now. Hope the sun burn is over and you are able to now enjoy the rewards of your tenacity. do take care and don't miss the flight home. Love you