In less than 2 months, I'm going to........

I applied to be a part of the MPA's internship program, partnering with Empower Playgrounds to provide electricity to schools in rural villages throughout Ghana. For three weeks, I will be evaluating schools for placement of merry-go-rounds, playing with children in orphanages, and working with the LDS church resolving local return missionary issues.
I'm pretty excited.
The only downside? Hankie isn't coming. But if he doesn't start eating more, I am convinced I can just stuff him in my carry on without even being noticed.
Speaking of luggage, if anyone is interested in donating toys, learning materials, etc. to the Ghanaian children, I would be happy to deliver it on your behalf. Word on the streets is that they love bubbles, stickers, and paper.
If you'd like to learn more about the program, visit http://www.empowerplaygrounds.org/main/. The basic gist of the program is that children play on playground equipment (primarily merry-go-rounds, soon to be swings and zip-lines) which generate enough electricity for their classrooms and laterns to take home each night.
Anyways, chances are no one cares. But as I sit in the Tanner building at 10p.m. on a Saturday night, again, this is the light at the end of my tunnel :)
7 Words from the Wise:
Congratulations! That is so exciting!
I am so jealous! I have always wanted to go there and do that! That will be such a cool experience. I got some stickers coming your way :)
Katie congratulations!
That is really awesome. I went to Africa a few years ago for a volunteer thing too. It was a huge eye-opening experience. Those kids need things more than you would believe. You'll love it. Ah. I'm so jealous! Good luck!
I have read about this somewhere, the playground equipment generating power. At the time I thought, what a great idea! It's wonderful you will be able to do this. I'm sorry Hank won't be able to go with you. Guess someone has to stay home and work or go to school or what ever. Maybe you both can go back another time. I am envious also but will try not to be. It's a marvelous opportunity for you and I am happy for you. Take care and come back safe and tell us all about it. Love you
i want to contribute...i love stickers too! how do i get this stuff to you?
yeah...hank has to eat more. as do i, 86lbs now (that CANT be normal! but im healthy! weird)
ghana will be fun. i hope you have a blast. i want to see pictures! merry go rounds are fabulous
Katie thats so cool...I would say I wish I was going too but I seem be pretty caught up in Korea at the moment so I will just wish you well... Have fun and be safe. Love ya!!!
Post a Comment