Friday, October 17, 2008

STRIKE ONE...


Those of you who know me know very well I spend most of my income at Target. I am simply incomplete without a bi-weekly Target run: the $19.99 shoes, amazingly cheap, yet quality clothes, matching accessories, not to mention a beautiful grocery store. I thought nothing could diminish my love for this store, until today.


As I neared the check-out, a man came and beckoned me towards his newly opened register. How did I get so lucky to avoid the long lines? Everything was just fine until the total came up. He began with "have you heard of the Target card?" I responded, "Yes, but no thank you." He continued with, "do you know that the Target could save you money? Annoyed that I had already politely declined the stupid card, I said, "yes, but I still do not want it, thank you." He then looked at the receipt to inform me that I could "save a total of $9.96 today..." (pushing the issue yet once again) I replied, "I'm not interested." THEN, THIS MAN HAD THE AUDACITY to say, in a snotty, smart-A tone, "why don't you want to save money?"


As I slowly looked up from the credit card machine, he immediately knew he had made a mistake. I can't imagine the exact look on my face, but based on his reaction, it must have been indicative of my feelings. He added, "if you don't mind me asking." YES I MIND HIM ASKING! Are my finances ANY of his business?! No, I don't want to save money!!! If I had wanted to save money, I wouldn't have driven the 5-10 miles TO Target in the first place. I also wouldn't have spend over $90. And I DEFINATELY wouldn't have bought TWO unnecessary shirts for $8.99 a piece.


I wanted to punch this cocky clerk right in the face. He really pushed my buttons. While I recognize they make like $1 per sale on the Target card, I don't think it was worth it. Because if this happens one or two more times, I will STOP shopping at Target. And lets be honest, Target Corporation does NOT want that to happen! Let this serve as a warning...

5 Words from the Wise:

Taylor said...

you sound very mean and angry in this post. fyi :)

Katie I. said...

thats because I am.

Kylee Rowe said...

Haha!!! The nerve.... who does he think he is! Your blog always makes me smile. Hope all is well!

Jennie and Spencer said...

Katie, I love this post. My passion for Target is strong as well and know what exactly what you mean about the "annoying question". Good luck in the future.

j cubed said...

Ooooooh that makes me angry! I will talk to a manager if they pull that on me on your behalf!