Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Just Like Their Owners...

So, its fairly evident that George and Hank look similar: curly hair, cheesy smiles, and happy dispositions. But today, I learned that we have something in common as well--we are both health "sensitive."

George has been silently suffering for the last 6 months. After scratching his face into a bloody oblivion, we have taken him to the vet twice already, racking up some $400 worth of expenses. The first diagnosis: dogs just scratch themselves. (I wanted to punch the Vet, naturally...) The second diagnosis: he may have mites that are "invisible even under a microscope". I knew George was far too classy to ever contract mites, but I gave the vet the benefit of the doubt and tried the 3 month treatment anyway. 3 months later and my sweet little dog is still mutilating his own face daily, something the cone of shame can no longer help. So.....

On my day off, I unselfishly (kidding!) took him to a different vet. The verdict: hay fever. Apparently, Bichon's are particularly sensitive animals and often suffer from allergies. Seeing as how they don't talk, they manifest their discomfort by scratching their face. The vet explained that they probably wouldn't have the proper medications in stock, since the last few months their practice has been flooded with dogs in similar agony. Leave it to me to be the LAST one to come take care of my loved-one. I'm a little concerned about my nurturing instincts, especially after the vet confirmed that George is clearly experiencing excruciating pain. Great.

Turns out, we do fit the theory that owners pick dogs just like themselves.

I am praying I will be a better mother to a child....

1 Words from the Wise:

Nicole said...

How was Paris?

I hate to break it to you, but things aren't looking great for parenthood. You see, you are one of two types of parents... the person who races to pediatrician with every sneeze OR the one who in order to avoid looking like parent type #1, puts off going in until it is completely unavoidable.

And, like vets, I'm half convinced that because peds are trained in guessing due to lack of communication directly from the patient, it often takes a couple of visits to nail down the stupid diagnosis such as "probably isn't doing so hot with cows milk" in my case or Arie's "strip the cows milk from your diet.".... Hmmmm, maybe you just ought to skip the cows milk too!