Monday, July 19, 2010

Rant

Dear Friends and Family: Count your blessings that I forgot to bring my phone with me to Target today.

Do you remember a time when you just felt awkward in life? I think of when I was in middle school. The school I attended required uniforms, resulting in at least a 2 year lag in my fashion sense. The uniform consisted of a Burgundy polo shirt and green plaid culottes (skirt-shorts). Due to my developing body, a youth shirt didn't fit quite right, so I was forced to wear much too large adult size polo. I never really knew what type of shoes this beautiful combo deserved: dressy or casual? or whether or not to wear socks folded down or straight up. I think I leaned toward wearing them straight up, as to cover as much of my furry legs as possible. (Barbie was a little protective of letting her little, yet big girl shave her legs...) Additionally, I had bangs. Do I fluff them, create a simple curl, or grow those suckers out--this was the question. I chose minimal fluff. All-in-all, I was a vision in popular 80's Christmas colors.

I revisited this awkward stage of life today in the dressing room of Target. I set out to find a bathing suit for Lake Powell next week. While my one bathing suit still somewhat fits, its certainly nice to have more than one option throughout the week, especially one that my little baby will be comfortable in. I started out in the maternity section, glancing at the selection of 5 elderly looking suits. The normal area consisted of primarily bikinis so I quickly gave up on my quest for a bathing suit. The one will do just fine for now.

In an effort to sport something reasonable at Powell, I went to the dressing room to try on 8 items. The dressing room attendant told me in a bratty voice that I could only bring in 6, setting a negative tone for my experience immediately. It didn't take long for the awkward middle school feelings to come flooding back into memory. Nothing fit. Regular clothes make me look like I'm suffering from the most unfortunate muffin-top of all time. Pregnancy clothes are baggy so I look like a frump. I want out of this stage. NOW.

I went to call my mom to have her console me during this difficult time. Even if she didn't understand, I knew she would certainly pretend to. If she wasn't home, I had a list of those I would call in mind....until I realized I left my phone at home. I never leave home without it!

I ended up purchasing the most random articles of clothing to soothe my emotions. I bought shorts, the short kind. I haven't worn these since pre-middle school, but the comfortable maternity band could not be ignored. Also, 2 t-shirts, 2 tank tops, and a bottle of spray on sunscreen to aid in the bronzing of my currently beautiful bod. The part that really set me over the edge was the grand total at the register. $80. As I walked out the red sliding doors, the smell of popcorn and reflection on spending almost $100 on things I don't want forced uncontrolable tears from my eyes.

The bag of shame is currently thrown on the kitchen counter. I can't determine if its worth the amount of money to feel marginally better about myself for a week or if I just need to suck it up, return the items and embrace this awkward stage of looking "maybe pregnant/maybe eating my feelings" for the next month or so.

Advice please.

5 Words from the Wise:

E-Roz said...

Katiebug I just love you, and I'm almost 2000 percent certain that you are just gorgeous and not at all awkward.

Courtney M said...

hahahah I love you. I HATED that stage! The good news is with your second baby that stage is a lot shorter :) With Levi I started wearing maternity pants a lot sooner and that helped stop the "muffin top" and makes your belly look more round. For the first part of my pregnancy I liked the bands that came all the way up over your stomache...those seemed to round it out better. When I was bigger I liked the lower setting bands. Good Luck, im sure you are beautiful!

Kylee Rowe said...

I hate maternity pants! They never fit right! You should try the bella bands (they sell them at target for 20 bucks). This way you can wear all of your current clothes (pants, skirts, shorts)!!! I love them! Are you in town this coming week? I will be in SLC for the week and would love to meet up!

McKenzie said...

Oh Katie... You are GORGEOUS and I a sooo excited for you and Hank (and George of course) as you go through this. Don't worry--this stage will pass, and you're most likely the only one who will notice. :) Gorgeous.

Cara said...

I have advice, get excited! I was in the awkward stage for a while. I never actually went to maternity pants. I bought one pair and hated them. Instead I went to Deb and got stretchy jeans. I got them a size to big to avoid the muffin top and they fit until the day I had Lincoln. As far as bathing suits go try Motherhood Maternity. They actually had some cute ones. Burlington coat factory has a pretty good selection too. And if you want cheap maternity clothes try Ross.