Friday, March 5, 2010

AFV

I found out a few months ago Hank and I may not be compatible. I learned this somewhat important piece of information in a battle over the remote control. I wanted to watch The Amazing Race; he insisted on watching America's Funniest Home Videos. Originally, it seemed like he just wanted to oppose my tv show. Not the case. He genuinely wanted to watch it--its his favorite. AFV?! Seriously? I have despised this show since I first saw it in the 80's.

I was reminded of this unspoken conflict in our relationship tonight...right now, to be exact. Hank has laughed hysterically at a squirrel eating Pringles, a "stray dog" entering a wedding reception and scratching himself in the aisle, and "feelers" on rotten potatoes causing a child to cry/scream (to name a few!) I just don't get it. There has never been a video on the show that I couldn't rationalize as staged. When there is a possibility of a staged event, I don't feel its deserving of my laughter. I become a skeptical grump.

AFV: A man runs into a glass door
Hank: ::Laughing uncontrollably:: "That's a crowd pleaser every time!"

Ok....so I may hate the show and those who submit staged videos with a passion. But I cannot help but laugh seeing Hank laugh so hard he cries. I never thought I could love someone who enjoyed AFV so much, but I do!

3 Words from the Wise:

Taylor said...

remember when I bought the fairy outfit at gymboree and both you and chris said you "didn't even know me!"

that is how i felt the day i found out chris loves AFV.


apparently, we are the weird ones.

Andrew and Ariel said...

On our trip up to the Homestead this weekend we actually watched half of AFV. And I loved it just as much as I did as a 12 year-old. Hank and I need to hang out.

Brook said...

So this is why I always thought Hank was the best guy ever! How can you help but laugh when somone is laughing so hard! He always seemd to be able to laugh at anything! Good work Katie! Miss you...