Sunday, November 29, 2009

My Thanksgiving List...

Over the break, I pondered on all the things I am thankful for. The list actually got quite long, and I thought about blogging it but never got around to it. Today, my list is pretty short.


1. Hank is alive.


2. Yesterday is over.



My wake up call consisted of "Kate, there's been an accident..." Not a car accident... an explosion. While Hank was putting up some shelving in his shop, a spark flew and hit a box, a box apparently full of powdered peroxide. Luckily Hank's dad saw the white seeping out of the box and told everyone to get out! Shortly after exiting the building, the fire caused an explosion so big it blew out the 2 industrial garage doors and front door.




See exhibit A.





I am very grateful Hankie wasn't inside the shop when it blew. He is so little I can't imagine what would have happened to him.

Hank, his uncle, and dad spend all day trying to salvage the situation. After Hank saying "this is the worst day of my life" I packed up my stuff and drove down to Provo to be with him. After seeing him, I went home to put George and luggage away. There was nothing I could do to help at the shop.

The next phone call came about an hour later. Hank dropped an engine on his hand and needed me to go get medical supplies. I went and got them but after seeing his hand decided Urgent Care was deserving of our business.

See exhibit B.




It wasn't just the nail. It was the top of the finger. Urgent care began digging into it but once they realized the bone was completely exposed, they wouldn't go any further. Apparently with the bone exposed like that, the risk of infection is so high they may have to amputate it. Sick. Rewind to last week at church-- I rudely commented to Hank about a man's hand that scared me. He was missing fingers. Karma. Ugh.-- Amputation is not an option (for me) so we go to the ER as we had been told.



We saw Dr. Elmo in this room, for which I'm still confused. Hank said, "they think I'm a little boy and you are my mom." *To all you single women out there, please do NOT marry a man younger than you.*

See exhibit C:







Dr. Elmo took great care of Hank. He stitched up his "hamburger" finger so that a nail can possibly grow back. Let us pray. The picture below depicts how Hank spent his time waiting in the ER.





See Exhibit D:









We are still dealing with the fact that fingers don't ever stop bleeding, but other than that, (and the part where the shop is in shambles) we are doing well! We hope you all had a fabulous Thanksgiving. If you're looking for something to pray for, please pray that he doesn't get evicted and that insurance will pay for those pricey garage doors.

6 Words from the Wise:

John Cannon said...

I am younger than Steph too. I still attend the children's hospital in AZ too. I think Steph thinks its wierd too.

Courtney M said...

SCARY! Im glad everything ended up ok! Man in that picture of him in the waiting room with Nemo Hank seriously looks like he's 12. Me and Brandon are sitting here cracking up. I just love you two.

Nicole said...

These types of posts leave me speechless. You'd think I'd be used to these types of things from Hank, but you never really do.

Still, I'm terribly sorry for all of it. Hope all starts to heal/fix itself soon.

Kylee Rowe said...

I know i shouldn't be laughing but seeing Hank in a little kids room was hilarious! My gosh, I am so happy that he is ok. That is really scary!

j cubed said...

I almost lost my dinner. OUCH!!! I will definitely be keeping you all in my prayers. I use to get in so many accidents, I know you know Katie :) I eventually grew out of it. Poor hank.

I think it is great though to marry younger men :)

Spencer and Kealia said...

katie! i am laughing so hard! not that hank got hurt... but that he was with dr. elmo in a finding nemo room, drawing a stick figure with his blood... so random, so funny!