Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Remember When...

Remember the days you would stay home from school sick? I do. They were simply the best. I remember loving waking up feeling under-the-weather, thinking I could spend the day in my buttery bed or lounging around the house in jammies. I could hang out with my mom, doing what she does and forget about school for just one day.

Until 9:00 am rolled around.

A knock at the front door would wake me out of my second wind of sleep. No answer. Was Barbie not even home?! I could hear the garage opening and voices downstairs. Maybe she just ran an errand so she could stay with me all day. The Hispanic music suddenly blaring on the intercom system confirmed my suspicions: my mom wasn't home, but the cleaning ladies were! I can still remember the sinking feeling, the regret of having stayed home when I was only sort of sick. Listening to the loud vacuum, yelling in Spanish, and people in and out of my personal space was not what I had in mind for the day.

Fast forward to today.....

I started feeling weird last night. Hot head, freezing, weak. I knew my ever so weak immune system was giving up on me, not surprisingly. I woke up this morning, called into work and went back to sleep. Hank and George woke me up again around 9, which was fine because I needed to tackle homework. As obvious by this post, that isn't happening. I sat down to relax, opened my books and lo and behold, a fire alarm in the house is chirping. I couldn't focus. I had the same feeling from my high school days, should I have just gone to work?

I mustered up the energy to get on sweats to go get 9 volt batteries from Wal Mart. My look fit right in and I'm not proud of it. Turns out 2 9 volt batteries are $5.50. I got one package. It seemed silly to "stock up" on something that pricey right now.

Once I got home, I changed 2 alarms with the new batteries. Still chirping. I switched around batteries in every alarm upstairs, full of satisfaction that soon the annoying noise would be gone. Hank will be so proud of me when he gets back.

Maybe not. Now 2 alarms are chirping. I am about to lose it.

0 Words from the Wise: