I had the opportunity to fund raise for a nonprofit organization tonight. They have the script all prepared, you just need to call and read accordingly. As most of you know, I HATE calling. I will text or email basically anything but I shut down when it comes to calling. Unfortunately, you can not email a donor asking for money; it just doesn't work that way.
It took a VERY long time for me to warm up to the idea of asking for money. My parents will laugh at this, but thats a different story :) Once I finally decided to make my first phone call, my fears and suspicions were confirmed in less than a minute exchange with a 'potential' donor.
I started off introducing myself. The entire time I am thinking of not what I'm saying, but rather what she is thinking. Turns out, I didnt need to anticipate what she was thinking, she simply told me. For example:
Me: Say- "Are you aware of what our organization is up to?"
Me: Thinking- I'm not even aware of what our organization is up to!
Woman: "I couldn't care less."
Me: Long pause. This is not on the script! How exactly do I proceed?
The conversation only got worse. I hung up the phone defeated and unwilling to give it another shot. I am terrible at asking random people for money. I will go ahead and never do it again. Except, obviously my parents. I will stick to what I'm good at. :)
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Stick to What I'm Best At.
Posted by Katie I. at 6:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 Words from the Wise:
That is totally not cool that you, the most polite person ever, would get the rudest person ever. I'm so sorry!
lol, katie you crack me up!
Post a Comment