Thursday, July 9, 2009

An Eventful Day

Yesterday was one of the craziest days of my life. I want to write everything down (mostly for my own reference) before I forget everything! In no particular order, I present the crazy things that happened yesterday.

1. This week is the annual Travis Hansen Charity Basketball Camp. I have spent countless hours preparing for every possible scenario, registering campers, picking up misc things around town, making millions of list for a smooth check-in and camp. The one thing I didn't prepare for? The website crashing due to last minute registrants. As a result, I had the pleasure of dealing with angry parents confused why their son/daughter were not on our list of campers. After questioning my competence of writing a list, I learned that the website had crashed overnight. This started my day off a bit stressful.

2. I worked 10 hours standing up, resulting in shooting pains up my back when move about. Hank thinks I'm faking. Its so annoying.

3. During the camp, I had the pleasure of teaching a young foster girl how to use a tampon. I have never felt so uncomfortable and awkward as I did when discussing this process to this sweet girl. She was a champ...it could have been much worse!

4. I had the most intense adrenaline rush of my life in a conversation with the "bag man" on University. Our office is right by his final stop around 5 pm, Wills Pit Stop, so a co-worker and I decided we would bring the leftover Magelby's lunch to him on our way home. A good, charitable idea gone horribly wrong. We pulled over and I handed him the sandwiches. He spouted off his worth of $8.4 trillion, how he owns Magelbys, Sundance, in fact, all of Provo.....a few moments later, he had gotten so worked up he was talking about blowing up Donnie and Marie's heads, the Magelby's owners, etc. By this point, he was extremely angry and I was extremely uncomfortable and scared. The only problem (besides the idea in the first place) was that we didn't develop an exit strategy! I didn't quite know how to communicate my desire to speed off away from this situation to the driver. Fortunately, she felt the same way. I will never do that again.

I have always felt like I needed to feed the bag man. When we lived on the 3rd floor at Cambridge Court, I caught his eye as I looked out the window on a rainy day (Hank swears this didn't happen, but it did). I had a strong urge to invite him in for food. Thank heavens for a husband who immediately shot that idea down.

5. After work, Hank and I went out to dinner. In my tired and lazy state, I opted out of changing my Little Heroes shirt before leaving the house. The kind man serving me Gelato asked me about the foundation and said he wants to partner with us to have a Little Hero day, where all the proceeds go to our foundation! How cool is that!? :) I can't vouch for the food, but the gelato is certainly delicious.

6. On the way to the movie theater, we witnessed a girl on a bike in a crosswalk get slammed into by oncoming traffic! First her bike went flying into the air, then we watched as she rolled over the hood and onto the street. Hank ran out to try and help but the damage had clearly already been done. An ambulance arrived in less than 3 minutes, it was amazing! I have never seen anything so scary in my life! I really hope she is ok!

7. I saw Hannah Montana. Enough said. On a similar note, Hank is learning the Butterfly song on the guitar...hahahahaha....


Well, that was yesterday. Today was awful so I wont post about that....but I was on the news, for those of you who can suffer through an entire hour of local Utah news. I know I cant.

4 Words from the Wise:

Kiana Hayden said...

You really should write a book... or a mini series about your life. I love Katie stories. At least your day ended on a good note with a little Miley Cyrus...that would make anyones day!

Raymon said...

Your blog is so worth it. Makes my day everytime.

terryandkrisstewart said...

Katie, sounds better than a boring day. Extreme!@!!! You pulled through with flying colors it sounds like. We love looking at your blog. Love you Dudie and Amanda.

Pamela Williams said...

lol, the story about teaching a girl how to use a tampon is hilarious