Thursday, September 15, 2011

I'm Not in Charge Here.

Since I've been a parent for SO long, I've learned that I simply can't control everything I'd like to. Whenever I determine my method for [insert parenting strategy here], it turns out that just simply doesn't work with my child, resulting in a lot of wasted time, energy and money! Its really starting to make me laugh.


For example:

Hank and I decided that we wanted to give our child breast milk (if circumstances were favorable) and organic baby food. Sure, its hypocritical. We eat like crap, but it was important to us that we give him the best as long as possible so we thought we'd give that a try.

If you would have told me during either January or February that I would one day LOVE nursing, I would have wanted to punch you in the face. The beginning was horrible. Cracked, bleeding, blistering, constant sucking = absolute misery. Fortunately, with time things healed and it did prove to be a positive experience....something I became rather attached to since it didn't come so easily! And for the last few months, I've loved it. Until now....

I had a sneaky suspicion that Kellen wasn't getting enough milk, so I moseyed on over to the lactation specialist to weigh him before and after he ate. The verdict? 2.2 oz! My sweet baby boy should be drinking about 24 oz per day. Wonderful. Even better, he has lost 2 lbs...sending me into another panic: my baby has been starving!! I left their office deflated: literally and figuratively :)

After discussing the issue with the Doctor, she informed me that many mothers lose their milk around 8 months (who knew?!) and that I should start him on formula immediately.

After coming to terms with the fact that I had no other options, I gave him a bottle. But guess what? He won't drink it. He screams bloody murder every time he even sees it. After trying for a week to feed him and vomiting daily, I took him to the doctor. They told me to try different nipples, bottles, milk, etc, but I just couldn't take it anymore. I knew something was wrong with my baby boy and the bottle was clearly NOT the answer.

Gratefully, he screamed the entire 2 hours we were at the dr's office, giving them a glimpse of his misery. (Usually, he goes in there and cheeses it up, making me look like an idiot!) The dr ran through a long list of things I can try. After discussing that I'd tried everything, she paused and said, " Have you tried a straw?" Um, no. That one hadn't crossed my mind. Breast to straw...not really the norm.

She left the room and returned with a Capri Sun. I got a little panicky at the thought that she was seriously going to give it to my baby, until she put it up to his mouth and he CHUGGED it! Who knew he could use a straw?? [Answer: Hank, (every allergy-tracking mother's worst nightmare) who apparently witnessed this after offering him a Jamba Juice.]

Anyway, my baby drinks juice. Not breast milk, not even formula. Juice. Juice that might even have "dangerous levels of arsenic." haha

She deemed him 'severely dehydrated' and sent us on our way, with a Capri Sun in his hand and a grocery list: apple juice and straws.



I surrender. This child is determined to break me down of everything I think I know and build me back up just the way he wants! And that's just fine with me, as long as he is healthy! :)

5 Words from the Wise:

Colter & Kelsie Marshall said...

Oh poor Kellen, having to be dehydrated to prove a point...just kidding, sorry to hear that he was having some issues. Hope all else is well. Love you guys!!

Kathryn e. said...

Welcome to the motherhood...and don't you just LOVE Dr. Kendall. I have a medical crush on her. Literally.

Kathryn e. said...

*Welcome to motherhood.

Grandma and Grandpa Clark said...

Aw, sweet Katie, I love reading your posts; since being at the cabin without internet, I have felt totally deprived. You make me laugh and giggle all at the same time. I can't believe how utterly handsome, beautiful, darling, cute, whatever, Kellen is! Sometimes it is like looking at his Grandpa Iroz so many years ago and sometimes not at all. It's magic! He just has a certain Johnny look sometimes. I love it. You are such a perfect little mommie and that makes me love you even more than being such a perfect wife for Hank. You are great parents together and Kellen is blessed. It is hard; I know. It is 24/7 without any breaks; but worth it is all I can say. You are building an eternal family. Just always remember that. Give both, well all three of the males in your life a big love from me. And here is one for you. xoxoxoxxoxoxo I love you all!

Brook said...

I love you. You are an awesome MOM! And he is BEAUTIFUL!!