Thursday, August 13, 2009

Say Goodbye to Big Hair and Tanning!

My hair is falling out. There is no cleaver way to say it. As I shower, chunks fall out. My brush needs emptied every time I comb my hair. And the bathroom rug, well its covered in hair, disturbingly covered in hair. I've been trying to convince myself its just from stress, but I needed an expert's opinion and needed it immediately. The fact that I have an unusual mole on my breast (TMI? I don't care.) gave me an excuse to go to the doctor yesterday.

After some questioning by the doctor, we searched for a "traumatizing" event that has happened in the last few months: physically, emotionally, or in my diet. It didn't take long for us to conclude my deathly illness in Ghana was the trigger. Apparently it was a shock to my system which confused my hair follicles beyond belief--so now they are all falling out at the same time, instead of all having their own time-line. Fabulous.

He gave me the name of the condition, so I looked it up today to learn more. I found this very reassuring! :)
"Often, the knowledge that the hair loss will not progress to baldness is comforting to the patient. The patient should be encouraged to style the hair in a way that masks any perceived defects in hair density."

After a look at my mole, he concluded that needs to come off right away. It has irregular borders, unusual pigment, and is growing at a rapid rate. Thank you tanning. I never had this mole before and suddenly it is scaring the living crap out of me.

In summary, please do not comment if you notice I am styling my hair a bit differently. This is because I am masking any perceived defects in hair density. haha. And if you notice I am as white as my younger sister who wasn't born with pigment, well....at least I am not speeding up my life span under a neon bulb, although it did look good while it lasted!

6 Words from the Wise:

Taylor said...

hey!

meanie magee.

Kiana Hayden said...

I have a wig and some orange tanning lotion to remedy your problems. Although you might look kind of funny walking around with a Cher wig and Oompaloompa skin.

barb said...

Thanks heavens you have always looked really cute in hats! As for the tan, I have some of that magic tanning Jergens potion-lotion that Tay claims smells like maple syrup. You could just pretend you are from Vermont...To complete the look I'll even let you borrow my old Berkenstocks. You can thank me later.

Kathryn e. said...

Barb you make me laugh! And Katie you will always beautiful white legs and all! Now you can get the Holley bob and fit right in with us!

Nicole said...

You are still going to be cute!

Losing hair in clumps sucks big time. But, it is good that you have id the problem and it should be temporary. I cut my hair short (for me) when mine was falling out uncontrollably - it seemed to make it look more full and styling or throwing it up covered the bald spots.

Ruth said...

(This is going to sound so uncaring, but...) what's the name of your hair-losing disease? Jeff needs to do a project on a weird, random condition.

On a less strange note, I haven't noticed a thing. You're still as pretty as ever! And I'm glad you don't have cancer.